Root canal treatment is the treatment of the infected tooth, especially in theroot of the tooth. It is one of the most common dental procedures recommended to the patients before going for extraction. An endodontist or general dentist performs this treatment based on the severity of the patients case. There are sure signs that indicate the requirement ofroot canal treatment. It includes tooth sensitivity towards cold or hot food items orbeverages, sudden pain during chewing, swollen gums, cracked teeth, and deep decay in the teeth.
The root canal specialist follows a set of steps for the successful completion of the procedure. Here are the root canal treatment steps:
- In the first appointment of consultation, the dentist will take an X-ray to find the infected tooths current status. This will help in confirming the roots affected and the evaluation of the overall tooth. The dentist will inject local anesthesia before the step. This helps to reduce the possible root canal treatment pain, and patients can relax throughout the procedure.
- Then, the dentist places the rubber dam, which is a sheet of rubber around the tooth that requires evaluation. This helps in achieving a dry environment, which aids in clear visibility.
- The dentist creates a drill to access the full length of the tooth. The bacteria, pulp, and decayed tissues are cleaned thoroughly. Sodium hypochlorite or water is used for cleaning the root canals.
- After cleaning, a medication is placed for the next few days. Once the tooth is cleaned, the dentist performs the sealing of the tooth. In some cases, the temporary filling is done to avoid food lodgement, depending on the patients case.
- In the next appointment, gutta percha (rubber compound) and sealer paste is placed inside the cleaned root canal. The access hole is also filled successfully.
- Finally, the tooth is restored. In the case of severely damaged teeth, dental crowns are fixed above the restoration.
Theroot canal treatment cost in Indiavaries from 4,000 INR to 20,000 INR on average, depending on the severity of the infection, condition of the affected tooth, and dentists expertise. The average root canal recovery time is one to two weeks. Patients must understand that it is highly crucial to follow the post-operative care instructions that the dentist recommends after the treatment. Thus, root canal treatment proves beneficial for patients who want to have their teeth saved for a significant time period.