Gmail has added a lot of new tools to its email service that has made our job pretty quick and straightforward. One of these tools is Smart Reply and Smart Compose, which completes the subject for you and helps to compose a mail.
It sounds a bit odd letting your device draft a mail for you for professional or personal use, but there is no harm giving it a try.
How to enable the Smart Reply and Smart Compose tool?
The steps to enable the smart reply and smart compose tool on your Desktop are:
- Go to your Gmail account.
- Click on the Settings icon depicted by a Gear on the top right corner of the screen.
- A new window will appear. Turn On the option for either smart reply, or smart compose, or both. Enabling this tool will give you automated suggestions.
- You can also customize the suggestions the way you want to draft an email with the help of the Smart Compose Personalization option.
Note: In case youre a G Suite user, only the admin of G Suite can enable this feature for the whole organization.
The steps to enable the smart reply and smart compose tool on your iOS/Android are:
- Go to your Gmail account.
- Tap on the Hamburger menu icon on the top-left corner of the page.
- Locate the Settings option from the pop-up window.
- In case of multiple Gmail entries, select the account for which you want to change the settings.
- Mark the checkbox for smart reply or smart compose, or both.
What does the mailbox look like after enabling the feature?
The mailbox after enabling the feature doesnt look any different from the one before turning on the feature. All you need to do is start typing the mail and it will suggest you words and sentences to add.
To add the suggestion, hit the Tab key on your Desktop. On the other hand, swipe right to add the suggestion on your phone.
If you want your smartphone to suggest the subject of the mail, leave the subject space blank and start framing the mail. Once youre done composing a mail, when you get back to the Subject area, itll suggest you the same itself.
Using Smart Reply for quick responses
Whenever you receive a mail from someone, Google presents the three phrases you could use as a reply, rather than manually composing a mail. You may select any of these suggestions and send them right away, or you may add more text to your mail, as you like.
Using smart reply feature while youre in conversation with a bunch of people using mail will add everyone to CC. Thus, to leave out people, you need to manually remove them from CC before forwarding your replies using a smart reply.
Is it convenient to use Smart Reply and Smart Compose feature?
Using the two features are very convenient for a lot of people out there, and might not be suitable for many others. Smart compose doesnt frame the whole mail for you; thus you can always make changes to what its suggesting. On the other hand, the smart reply gives you suggestions for quick replies, and its not necessary to reply with the same. You can add your personalized text.
In case, you dont want to continue using this tool while drafting a mail, you can disable the same on the settings page of your Gmail.
Hey there, ImOliviya. Im a web developer living in USA. I am a fan of photography, technology, and design. Im also interested in arts and web development. You can view my listings with a click on the button above.