AirPods or AirPods Pro can be used with all your Apple devices. All you require to do is a couple of taps and clicks, and you can manually switch the hearing device between your Mac, iPhone, and iPod.
Below mentioned are the ways to manually switch AirPods between Mac, iPhone, and iPad. So, let us get started!
Use AirPlay options and Bluetooth Menu
The iOS 14 update of Apple will be introducing an easy switching method for AirPods and AirPods Pro. With this feature, your AirPods will, by default, get connected to the device youre currently using. For instance- you were on a call on your iPhone, and now you turn to your iPad to use, your AirPods will automatically make a switch.
The feature is yet to come, until then you need to switch between your devices manually. You can do the same with the help of third-party alternatives, as mentioned below.
Bluetooth settings can be used to connect your AirPods and switch them between devices manually. The steps to connect your AirPods to Mac are:
- Go to the Bluetooth settings in the menu bar.
- Locate the name of your AirPods and select the same.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Click on the Connect option.
The steps to connect your AirPods to your iPhone and iPad using Bluetooth menu are:
- Open the Control Center by swiping from top to bottom of the screen. A device with a Home button opens the Control Center by swiping bottom to top.
- Tap on the AirPlay icon.
- The next menu will appear with the available devices. Make sure the AirPods are not placed on its case, instead put it in your ears.
- Select the name of your AirPods.
Use the ToothFairy app for Mac
Connecting your AirPods and AirPods Pro requires multiple steps and a few seconds to connect to your Mac. While it is easy to connect your AirPods to an iPhone and iPad.
To make the process simpler, you can use the ToothFairy app that requires a single tap, and your device gets connected.
ToothFairy app is a Bluetooth management tool for your Mac and costs a few dollars. It is a convenient application if you want to save time and complete the process of connecting your AirPods to the Mac in a single click.
The steps to use the ToothFairy app on your Mac are:
- Install the application on your Mac.
- After installing, the icon will appear in the menu bar. Right-click on the icon.
- Next, tap on the Preferences option and select the name of your AirPods.
- Also, select an icon thatll reflect on your menu bar.
- Next time you have to connect to your AirPods, you can instantly tap on the AirPods icon and itll be done.
Note: As long as you dont connect your AirPods to any other device, itll remain connected to the Mac with the help of the ToothFairy app.
Use shortcuts for iPhone and iPad
Now you know how to connect your AirPods to your Mac instantly. What if you could instantly connect your AirPods to an iPhone and iPad as well? Below are the steps to use shortcuts for quickly connecting AirPods to your iPhone and iPad.
- Open the Shortcuts app.
- Click on the + icon on the top-right corner of the screen in the Library tab.
- Click on the Add Action button highlighted in blue.
- Locate the Set Playback Destination button and select the same.
- Tap on the iPhone button.
- A list will appear. Select the name of your AirPods from the list.
- Hit the Next option.
- Assign a name to the shortcut and click Done.
A shortcut will be made thatll appear on your Home Screen or Lock Screen by swiping right, and you can directly connect your AirPods to the device.
The steps to create shortcuts automation are:
- Go to the Shortcuts app.
- Open the Automation tab and click on the + icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Locate and select the Create Personal Automation option.
- Click on the Open App button on the bottom in the next window.
- Hit the Choose button next to the App option.
- Select the app and hit the Done button. Next time when youll open the application set as shortcut automation, your AirPods will automatically connect to your Apple device.
- Now, click on the Next button on the top-right corner.
- Go to the Set Playback Destination. Select the name of your AirPods and tap Next.
- In case, you dont want the app to seek permission every time, turn the slider off for Ask before Running.
- Click on the Dont Ask option on the pop-up window to confirm.
- The last step is to click on the Done button.
The next time you open the app, a notification saying Shortcuts app is running your Automation will automatically pop up.
Hey there, ImOliviya. Im a web developer living in USA. I am a fan of photography, technology, and design. Im also interested in arts and web development. You can view my listings with a click on the button above.